North Newton has grown in population and public services. The City has the look and feel of an attractive well maintained college town where walking is a primary mode of transportation. It is a full service community providing all municipal services except fire/ambulance services and wastewater treatment. These services are purchased from Newton by contract.
Sand Creek Trail - When Bethel College was established there was an open creek (Sand Creek) east of the campus and a small stream (Kidron Creek) that flowed south on the west edge of the campus to empty into Sand Creek near Newton. To alleviate frequent flooding of the campus from Kidron Creek on the west, a drainage canal (Kidron-Martin Canal) was dug in 1925 from a point near the present Kauffman Museum eastward past the campus to where it drained into Sand Creek. A walking trail has evolved with the growth of the college and the North Newton community over the past 100 years. The trail took on new life in 1997 when retiree and new resident to the area, Jacob Goering, provided leadership for its improvement and expansion. A layer of wood chips covers the path for the length of the trail making it suitable for all weather use.
Chisholm Trail Park - Completed in 1988, the park is situated north of Kauffman Museum. It features an open grassy area for picnics and gatherings and a tranquil path along Kidron Creek.
Trail of Two Cities - Completed in 2006, this wide biking and walking path connects North Newton to Newton's Centennial Park and Sand Creek Trail. It follows Kansas Avenue, 24th Street and runs through a portion of the Bethel College campus.